Monday, June 18, 2012

The Power of Kindness

I was out doing some final birthday shopping for Joel today and of course I took the girls along. Any of you who have shopped with young children know how hard it can be. Sienna pulls armfuls of anything she can reach and throws them on the ground. I do my best to keep her parked away from everything, but not all spaces are accommodating to this strategy. Today was no different. She was grabbing armfuls and throwing them on the ground, I picked them up while simultaneously making sure I can see Kaylee (usually to tell her to come back from dancing, singing, and strutting in a far away mirror). And of course, kids have to go to the bathroom right when you get into shopping even if they just went at home before you left. This "quick" trip ended up lasting an hour. Whatevs, moving along, we had a few more places to go. Went to another place, didn't have what I needed. 
Next we went to Wal-Mart to get ingredients for Joel's birthday cake and some other groceries. And, it was the first time ever for me, every fridge and freezer was closed off with signs about how they were having issues with refrigeration, so please don't open. Bummer, a wasted trip with 2 grumpy, tired, hungry girls (keep in mind it 112 degrees at this point). So, off we went to yet another store. Sienna fell asleep in the car. We dropped off some mail at the post office and then headed to our second grocery store. We got to Fry's and couldn't find the special car cart Kaylee wanted so she cried. We couldn't find her special applesauce pouches, so she cried. Finally as we walked in between the dairy and the baked goods, Little Miss Octopus Arms struck again. She managed to grab 2 containers with a dozen fresh cookies each, and guess where they ended up? Yep, on the ground, packages open, cookies broken and on the floor. That was the final straw and it was all I could do not to cry myself. I was embarrassed and wondering what to do, when an older gentleman came quickly to help. He was so kind. He reassured me that this happens all the time and not to worry. He said he would take care of the mess and that I could go get 2 free cookies from the bakery for my girls. I thanked him and walked over to the bakery where there was a line. He noticed this and went and got the cookies and brought them to my girls. I couldn't thank him enough for his kindness. It was a great reminder to me, that we never know what someone else is going through, be it big or small. Kindness is powerful. It makes an impression and it changes people. It is uplifting. So, I send my thanks out to this lovely old man, for being a conduit for the Lord's tender mercies. Thanks for your kindness and for making my day a little better.

2 comments:

Emily and James said...

Awww, Rachelle I feel your pain. Keep in mind I only have one set of little arms to grab and cause trouble, it is still terrible taking Sydney to the store at times. I have to remind myself not to get upset or embarrassed. I am happy that gentleman helped you out. It is a reminder to young mother's like ourselves that most people out there know what it feels like, have been there and done that, and many have compassion.

Kris and Megan said...

I'm behind on comments! Oh boy do I know the feeling of this post :) Yeah I have decided I'm just not doing it anymore by myself with the kids! And snickers cheesecake?! Holy goodness that looked amazing! Did you make it?! Happy 30th to Joel and we'll have to have a playdate soon!