Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Birth Story

Brynn Elise Switzer: A Birth Story

Tuesday April 30, Dr visit. baby was approx 9 lbs. so we decided we would have an ultrasound the following week to determine exact size and if induction would be needed to avoid a c-section. Baby would potentially be 10 lbs. by the ultrasound. I really wanted to go into labor on my own so we were going to see if that would happen.

Thursday night I took Kaylee to soccer practice and told my friend that I was over being pregnant assuming I had another week to go. Friday May 3rd, I woke up early and made toaster streudels for myself and the girls around 7 AM. I remember thinking, if I go into labor, this probably isn't the best energy to get me through. And then I scoffed at the thought of going into labor soon. I had finished my breakfast when I decided to get up and tackle the dishes. As I stood up, I felt a trickle and then an unmistakeable gushing of water! I hurried over to the tile in the kitchen and called Joel right away. He got off his current call and called me back. We were both super excited! I told the girls to come inside and that we were going to have a baby! "Today!?" They were so excited! While waiting for Joel to get home, I took a shower, straightened my hair and packed a few things. I wasn't really hurting, just gushing =) Aunt Lori came over to watch the girls and we headed for the hospital. We got all checked
in and monitors on by 10 AM, contractions were 7-10 minutes apart and didn't hurt much. Due to location of heart beat they sent me to get an ultrasound to determine baby's position. Baby was transverse, meaning most likely a c-section. I cried.



The nurse explained everything to me about the c section and I was coming to terms with it. Joel and I got prepped for surgery and a little after 3 PM I walked down to the OR. I walked into a very sterile, bright room that was freaking me out! Onto the table I went, getting a spinal injection (I could feel the sweat beads dropping from my arm pit). I felt my body go quickly numb and could not move from the rib cage down. The staff did a quick inventory of all their supplies. They were friendly and upbeat. Just before the dr tested my numbness, she noticed a big movement in my belly. She felt around and thought baby might have moved head down. She got an ultrasound and confirmed it! Never mind on the c-section! I was transferred back to a bed and cheers were heard all around! I went back to my original room and was monitored closely because of low blood pressure. It was quite low (78/ high 40's, 80's over 50's). I was also having tremors from the medicine. Pitocin was started sometime around 4:30 PM to make sure baby stayed head down and to move things along. Once the spinal wore off and back labor was strong, I got an epidural.After having a spinal, my plans of going without pain meds went out the window. Labor was very slow. I threw up 3 separate times probably from all the medicine. Finally after 1 AM I got to push to finish the last half cm. Baby was finally ready. It was still quite painful to push even with pain meds. After a few good pushes, she was out and placed straight on me. I was so glad to meet her but incredibly tired and weak feeling. From the time my water broke until Brynn was born, about 17 hours had passed.



Brynn did great nursing. I ate and drank a ton. Got back to the room, was unable to stand on my own was losing a fair amount of blood and was dehydrated probably from all the vomiting. Sat down quickly and threw up again. Wheeled to bed and stayed to rest for a bit. We decided Brynn's name Saturday before Kaylee, Sienna, and Grammy came to visit.

This was by far the toughest delivery so far. To me the side effects from all the drugs were way worse than the pain from my delivery with Sienna (crazy itching, vomiting, muscle spasms, shooting back pain after it all wore off, scary low blood pressure). I just do not handle those drugs well at all. Add on the emotional exhaustion from the surprise c section prep and then the miraculous turning, we were totally wiped out.

After a few hours of sleep and lots of fluids, I was feeling much better and was able to enjoy my sweet little Brynn Elise and some visits from Kaylee, Sienna and Grammy. We are so happy with our sweet family of 5!

 one day old



 Proud big sisters!!!

 Daddy's first day back at work.
 Brynn's first bath at home around a week and a half. She loved it!
 Waking up stretches in my crib


Love this little miss!!! Such a sweet snuggler!




4 comments:

Melissa Savage said...

Love it! She's beautiful! Such a long labor and emotional experience, you're awesome!

Joel said...

You are so strong and beautiful. Even though I was there, I still can't comprehend how difficult and draining the whole experience was. I love you and grateful you allow your body to go through all of this so we can have these sweethearts in our family!

jennifer rogers said...

Congrats on the sweet little third baby! Love her name!

Kris and Megan said...

Great post! I'm glad you recorded all the details- the things mothers go through to bring these babes into the world, right?? congratulations on another cute daughter :) !!