Well my windows were getting really covered in snow, so when I went to roll down my window to order I only rolled it about half-way down so that I wouldn't get all of the snow into my car. After ordering I decided I would try to clear off the window. I have this little trick where I stick my arm right at the base of the window, and as the window goes down in the door I push all of the snow off that accumulated at the base and tada! all of the snow is gone. Well, I guess because it was really cold outside and it made my fingers thinner, or maybe because it was on loose my wedding ring came flying off and went out the window and rolled who knows where. "AHHHH!!!" I thought (maybe I screamed, I wouldn't have put it past me).
So I jumped out of the car and started searching for my missing ring, hoping it didn't go
too far. I was bent down and started to look under the car, frantically searching for my lost ring. I didn't have to search long before the people behind me, wondering what the heck I was doing asked what happened. I told them that I lost my ring, it fell out of the car, and I heard it roll away. Immediately in the blizzard the husband in the car got out and started to help me search for it. The snow wasn't quite sticking yet, so it was free to roll anywhere! I didn't hear one complaint that I was going to hold up the line or anything. Luckily the cars ahead of me were taking a long time at the window, so I had some time to look, but when the did pull ahead, the wife told me to move forward (not because she wanted her food, but because she wanted me to be able to see under my car easier). I pulled up the car, and the next couple behind them came out of their car to ask what was wrong. I told them that my ring fell off and it rolled away and I was looking for it. They immediately started to help look, still snowing and REALLY cold, but not a even a hesitation to help me. After awhile the McDonalds crew was getting a little bit antsy, so I figured I would pay for my meal and pull to the side and continue looking. The people at the window told me to give them my phone number, and if it turned up they would call me. I told them I was going to keep looking, but just wanted to get out of the way so these good Samaritans could get their food and get out of the cold. No sooner did I get to the second window, I heard some honking and I pulled over and saw one of the ladies running towards me. I knew she had found it! I felt so blessed. I thanked her repeatedly and asked if their was anything I could do for her. She just said "No, I am just glad I found it for you. I was walking to car and I just saw it lying there. I would be devastated if I lost my ring too!" I thanked her again, and she got in her car and drove off.I thought that was a wonderful story for me to experience. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not the most patient person that has ever lived on the Earth. I get annoyed at any slight delay often times, even when there is nothing of importance that I am trying to hurry to. I know that I have been in drive-thrus before when I have had to wait great deals of time wondering, what is taking SOOOO long!! Plus, I hate the cold and snow, and try to avoid being in it as much as possible. I am so grateful that these completely unselfish people did not get annoyed or angry at the hold up, and in fact came out of their nice warm cars to help locate the ring of a panicked newlywed. It really taught me a lesson about patience and charity. I am so amazed at the kindness of those people. I hope I can remember this experience next time I am driving behind someone going too slow or someone taking too long in front of me in line, or whatever situation I find myself in. I hope that I can show more kindness and charity like the people that helped me find my ring today.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, I would have freaked out too!! I actually had that happen to me when James and I were first married, only it was my engagement ring... and I never found it. I was devistated. I'm so glad you found it!!
Wow, what a cool story...one of the many reasons I love (and miss) Provo! Sounds crazy, especially with you talking about a freezing cold blizzard, but Provo has got to be one of the best places to live in the world. There are the most loving, caring, serving people there. Where else would people have been so willing to help you like that? Neat story to always remember!
I love it when people help out someone in need. Makes my day.
Hey Joel, it's Kristine, remember me? I got your blog from Emily :) Anyway, I have enjoyed reading it and was reading as fast as I could to get to the end of your ring story to see if you would find it or not--I'm glad you found it! Check our our blog when you get a chance--
californiahepworthfamily.blogspot.com
Post a Comment