Saturday, November 19, 2011

Surprise!

So, I've been getting into running lately and decided it would be fun to do a 10K. I ran up to 5 miles during training and was saving 6 miles for race day. I chose a race in Surprise, AZ (about 1 hour from home) raising money and awareness for the victims of human trafficking.
My goal was mainly to run the whole way and run it in close to an hour.
 Here I am getting my music set up just before the start. It was nice to have my sweeties there to cheer me on. This is Kaylee after I ran away =( She wanted to run with me.
 Cuties
So I considered this a good practice for my next race. Why? Because it didn't quite go as planned. There was a 5k and 10k that split part-way through the race. There were zero mile markers and only an occasional person holding an arrow drawn on cardboard and these people had no idea of their distance location. The result? A bunch of runners on the wrong path. When my friends and I crossed the finish line 15 minutes sooner than our goals, I knew something was off. So disappointing! I'm guessing we ran around 4 miles instead of 6, but were classified with the 5k runners (so our placements were off).

So next time I will do a race that's better organized, study the map more as a back up, and it would be nice to have a mile tracking watch. All in all though, I enjoyed running and plan to run 6.2 miles next week for closure =)

3 comments:

Emily and James said...

Good for you! That is awesome!

Melissa Savage said...

Way to go! Running can get addicting! You're looking great! Have you ever used the Runkeeper app on your phone? It's great for tracking your distance/miles.

Unknown said...

Thanks you guys!