Saturday, March 17, 2012

San Tan St. Patrick's Day


Joel and I have been wanting to check out San Tan Mountain for a while now, and today we made it happen. His mom, Nancy, got to come with us and our girls. We took a lot of pictures, as we were in awe of the rustic desert beauty. First we did a St. Patrick's Day scavenger hunt that included a relay course, drawing, trivia, face painting, snake making, and finished off with a prize.


 Ca-razy. Looking closely you could see the eye-holes in the old skin!
 These gorgeous wild flowers were all over!
Bean bag toss.
 Our little Irish family =)

 Here's a shot of Kaylee's face paint while she makes her snake.
 We spotted a leprechaun!
The finished product. And Kaylee's reward for finishing the scavenger hunt...

She got to take her very first ride on a horse! She was such a natural and wasn't scared at all.
 She said riding the horse was her favorite part.
 Here's the trail we chose. It was 2.6 miles round trip and our jogging stroller handled the terrain very well.
 Kaylee, striking a pose.
(Ha ha, just noticed I struck the same pose as Kaylee =)
 Saguaro Cactus



 Ocotillo. Grammy grew up in the desert near Palm Springs and said while kids in non-desert areas were drawing pictures of big leafy trees, she was drawing ocotillo trees.
 Cool old gate and gorgeous flowering cactus


 Sweet sleeping babes.
It's kind of amazing how close we live to the wilderness =) No wonder there are bald eagle sightings so close to our house. We're so glad we finally went and checked out the San Tan Mountain.

To finish out our festivities, we made Shepherd's Pie for dinner. Yum!

2 comments:

Melissa Savage said...

What fun St Patty's activities! I don't know of any activities around here like that! The desert has it's own beauty, I love it.

Katie and Joel said...

How Fun! I love all of the beautiful flowers. They are so vibrant. I loved that you and Kaylee had the same pose! :)