This month I will turn 30 and several months ago, I decided I wanted to do something big to celebrate/ show getting older who's boss. =) I did a 12 week training schedule maxing out at 11 miles 2 weeks before race day.
I was blessed with a rockin' jogging stroller to help me with some of my training runs.
Breakfast in the stroller =)
Setting off for a morning run.
All that training had finally come to an end, and yesterday I found myself standing in line to pick up my gear for the half. Below is a cool artistic rendition of our race map.
The day of the race, March 3, 2012, I got up at 3 AM to arrive at the shuttle area around 4:15 AM! They shuttled people by bus up to the starting line in the mountains, starting at 4 AM. Up on the mountain there were a bunch of fires where we all stood around and chatted while we tried to stay warm. I met people from Chicago, Wisconsin, Houston Texas, Monterrey California, and a lot of people from Arizona. People varied in race experience from fellow first-time half marathoners to people completing multiple Iron Mans!
We gathered at the start about 20 minutes before gun time and I was able to meet John Rhode (past Biggest Loser winner from Mesa, AZ). The cannon fired (and startled me) and we were off.
The scenery was majestic with the desert mountains and tall saguaro cacti. I absolutely loved it.
Phoenix Half Marathon 2012
This was the view from the starting line.
We had aid stations at mile 3 and then every 2 after that. I was amazed at how many people came to cheer everyone on. It was really motivating and some of their crazy signs made me smile (like around mile 7 a sign read "run like you stole something" =).
Around mile 10, I got a burst of energy, and by mile 12 it was one foot in front of the other mode. I was so happy when I saw this beautiful sign. Almost there! The moment I had been preparing and sweating for all those weeks.
There I am accomplishing my goal and blessed to have my family there to meet me at the finish.
I did it! (Can I sit down now?)
Party Time!!!
Wow, I totally recommend getting the free massage after the race (and packing flip flops in your drop bag). It made such an amazing difference! I enjoyed how amazed the massage therapists were at my flexibility, especially right after a half marathon. =)
Fun fact. I can do all these poses except the scorpion and the shrimp (if that's a real move). Never tried them, but I'm pretty sure if I could do the scorpion pose, I could be in Cirque de Soleil.
Love my new yoga bag and all my other fun goodies.
Did NOT want to take this off =)
Wahoo!
Thank you to all my friends and family who were so supportive. Finishing this race was such an empowering experience!

2 comments:
Congrats again! That is a good feeling of accomplishment! I wouldn't want to take the medal off either!
go rachelle!! you're my hero! now i really really want to do something!
Post a Comment