Friday, May 14, 2010

Kaylee is Lactose Intolerant!

So, for the past few months Kaylee has been throwing up a lot when crying or just randomly. After much speculation, some doctor visits, tests, nurse consultations, and some trial and error, we have decided for now that Kaylee is lactose intolerant.

In order to see just how intolerant she is, we first eliminated all dairy. No more throwing up for a week! So, after a week I gave her some cheddar cheese and chocolate cake . . . and what happened? Major vomit! This was a sign to me to stick to the no dairy thing. She is loving her vanilla soy milk and I am loving her feeling better.

Today at playgroup she was in love with this car.

Upon taking her out of it for others to have a turn, she absolutely lost it and screamed and cried her loudest! No puke, folks. That's right! A major improvement. Later, she was eating some teddy grahams and started to choke. She coughed them up, continued coughing, and still no throw up! Before we cut milk, she would have literally lost all her cookies and breakfast all over the place. I really think we've got the right diagnosis and it's honestly not that big of a deal. It actually helps us eat less cheesy/fattening meals. As long as I give Kaylee a fruity treat when we're eating chocolate, she is perfectly content. Likely, too, she will grow out of it before she enters kindergarten.

This knowledge has come as an answer to prayer and I'm glad it's a minor issue and not something more serious. We are grateful for that!

5 comments:

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

i'm glad you found that out. just as a note, you should look in to enzyme supplements, just maybe something for the future. we are doing that with our son. he is about her age and ever since having an ear infection, he has been pooping (like almost diarreah) like 4 times per day. consistently. full, gross diapers. so for him, things were coming out the other end. enzymes have helped and he's totally fine now. and also myself. i dont know if you saw on FB all my rantings about my new food allergies ever since having the twins, but i finally started trying taking enzymes and lo and behold, I can finally eat some of the foods i used to without having my food-poisoning type symptoms. i know lactcose intolerance is totally in its own league, but just something to keep in the back of your mind if she does start showing any new symptoms, since lactose (and other food intolerances) are kinda in the same family.

Kris and Megan said...

halleluia!!!!!! i am so glad for you that the problem seems to be solved, i could tell it was wearing you pretty thin. it's hard to be happy when something's wrong with your kid! glad you finally know what the deal is :)

Sare said...

Glad she's getting better....poor Kaylee, I am in your boat. I just cut out dairy too because it's upsetting Jude's tummy. I love cheese. OOOOH...a good ice cream treat I discovered is "One Ingredient Ice Cream". I actually add some almond milk to frozen fruit (so it is 2 ingredients) and blend it up in a food processor until smooth, but not runny. It's like soft serve and I love it (and it is healthier too)

Cember Joe Cass and Molly said...

isn't the throwing up so fun?? cassidy would do that ocassionaly, so gross. oh well. glad you learned the cause. i can't wait to see pictures of the little sister. having two girls is so much fun!!!

Alyssa said...

I'm so glad you've figured it out. Throwing up is the worst. I'm so happy she's feeling better. :)