Friday, January 27, 2012

Sienna's Birth Story (short version)

This post is mostly for family history purposes, but of course, if it interests you feel free to read!

I read an article today about childbirth: epidural vs. no epidural, and it reminded me that I never posted about Sienna's birth. In reading the comments underneath the article I read, I was disturbed by how defensive people were getting on one side or the other. It really is a personal choice and who are we to judge what is best for someone else? All we can do is gather information, decide what seems best for us, and go forward with confidence, not worrying what everyone else is doing. I used to think birth with an epidural was the only way. I thought, why would you go through unnecessary pain? To come off as a hero? I didn't get it. 
My first experience with labor included an epidural. I was induced and had bronchitis. I am grateful for the rest the epidural allowed me considering how sick I was. Getting the epidural was a little scary though. The doctor freaked me out telling me I was more likely to get meningitis since I was sick. We went ahead with it and I passed out as soon as the needle went in my spine. They shot me with steroids that brought me back quickly, but we were quite shaken up. My labor lasted 14 hrs, which made it very long especially stuck in bed. Again, I am grateful for the epidural because it seemed like the best option for our health at the time. Joel was sick with pneumonia (diagnosed just after I gave birth) so there's no way he could have supported me through a non-medicated birth.

So, when I was pregnant with Sienna, I considered going without an epidural. I wanted to know what labor felt like from beginning to end. I wanted to be able to walk around and sit in the Japanese soaking tubs. I ended up getting induced again, so I couldn't move too far from my room, but it was still nice to be able to get up and move around. The pain was very manageable at first, slowly building to where the last 4 hours were completely focused on the task at hand. Joel helped immensely (tennis ball lower back pressure) and all the nurses were wonderful, cheering me on. The end was excruciating and incredible. To go from such intense pain to such intense joy was spiritually enlightening. I felt empowered. Words really can't do the experience justice, but they help me remember the feelings I had. (Back story: I got induced 12 hrs. after I was scheduled to be induced and labor lasted 12 hrs.)

Sienna Isabelle Switzer was born at 9:00 AM weighing 9 lbs. 4 oz. Grammy Nancy came with Kaylee a few hours after the birth. It was cute to see Kaylee meet Sienna for the first time. She was in love. Grammy was great company before and after Sienna's birth. My step-mother Lisa made a visit 2 weeks later and brought her mom along. It made me feel so special that she would fly to see me despite her fear of flying.

So that's the short version of Sienna's birth story for our family blog records.






5 comments:

Liz said...

Wow it makes me want to try a natural birth, I just don't know if I could do it. I have a very low tolerance of pain.
You and Joel did a beautiful job singing today in sacrament by the way. How fun for the both of you to do that together. I also liked the song arrangment. By the way, how do you find out about cheap tickets to the Toy Story thing and other events?

Unknown said...

Liz, it's crazy cause I thought I had a low tolerance for pain too.

Thanks for the compliment about our singing and arrangement (maybe I'll stop getting so nervous some day =) You were fun as a primary chorister, total natural with little ones. And for cheap tickets, Joel is just on an email list for TicketMaster so that's how we found out about the deal. Do you know what's going on with book club?

Jessica said...

I totally agree with you. It really bothers me when women (and men, sometimes!) get all up in arms about ANY of the many choices one can make during labor and delivery. It also bothers me when women who choose to deliver without medication feel like they deserve an award or that their births were more significant or special. I honestly think giving birth, PERIOD, is awesome, no matter how one chooses to do it.

Emily and James said...

I have several friends who have very strong opinions about natural childbirth. It's funny how different trials and circumstances can change your point of view. After all the hardships we had getting pregnant in the first place, I knew I did not care how they got my baby out of me, as long as we were both healthy. The c-section was certainly scary, and was difficult afterwards, but I would gladly do it again.

My anesthesiologist said something similar to me when putting the needle in my back: he said that I needed to be totally still otherwise he could seriously hurt me. He also said that because of my weight, it may take him a couple of tries. What was funny however was when he was finished, he said it was one of the easiest ones he ever did!!

Thanks for sharing your story and opinions. It's always nice to hear!!

Unknown said...

Emily, thanks for sharing your experience. What a brave thing, to give birth having your belly sliced open! I am amazed by the women who do that and deal with the recovery and brand new baby at the same time. I'm so glad Sydney is such a healthy, perfect blessing!