Sunday, April 17, 2011

Accountability: Week 1

After much consideration, I have decided to blog about one of my personal goals:  nutrition and exercise/ weight loss.  My intentions in posting weekly are for accountability, encouragement, reflection, and perhaps to give hope to others. 

I have struggled more this time to take off the baby weight and have tried several approaches.  Finally, a few weeks ago I decided to try the thing I thought would work but that scared me, giving up sugar.  This one is tough because I love sugar.  I have eaten so much sugar for so long that I just didn't think I could go without it. I would see others decide not to eat sweets and thought it was too extreme and found it hard to believe that they didn't want it after a while of not having it.  Well, I went without it for a week.  I was so proud of myself.  It was hard at first, but it got easier. I lost 3 pounds and decided I would just have one treat.  One treat led to lots of treats and back came the 3 lbs. with 1 more.  I noticed too that sugar now made me sick.  So, I have decided to avoid it all together.  I can have it if I want, but I just don't want it anymore.  It's not worth it.  I still eat fruit and mildly sugary stuff, but I have really cut back.

So, after week 1 of cutting sweets, I have lost 4 lbs.!  Yay!  I can also credit power yoga, jogging, and walking for that.  My goal is to lose 40 lbs., so that takes me to 36 to go!  

This week I will also focus on portion control and not eating emotionally or out of boredom.


Week 1 
-4
ttl -4
36 to go!


7 comments:

Sarah said...

Good for you! I love reading about other people's progress and success and am excited to follow your journey!

Kris and Megan said...

Go Rachelle!!! You can do it! You are inspiring me too. I don't think I'm ready to completely cut out sugar, but I have been a little out of control lately so I'm trying to do better. It's like my sweet tooth that shut off for half my pregnancy came back with a vengeance and made up for all the sweets I would have had. Anyway I'm trying to cut down for now. Good job exercizing and with will power!! Oh and I loved the haircut post, how cute. Can't wait to see her in person with her new do!

Katie and Joel said...

Good job! It's not so bad to not have sugar. I have been off sugar for so long now that when I have something sugary I get tired of it really fast and I can't eat too much.

Joel said...

Good job and good luck!

Emily and James said...

That is wonderful! Good luck!!

Mandy said...

Well, this is a good reminder to me! I know how much better I do without sugar but the end of the pregnancy, I always do terrible! I keep thinking after I deliver I'll be disciplined so I can lose the weight. I have a feeling this time will be harder, too. So, way to go! Thanks for leading out with a good example!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all of your great comments!!! I hope you all reach your goals as well.