Thursday, March 3, 2011

Potty Training

The short version...Kaylee is potty trained!

The longer version...Kaylee used her little potty 15 times today and had only 5 accidents.  One accident was terrible, 3 were in the bathroom but not quite in the potty, and another was in a hiding spot but quickly taken care of.  We have been casually teaching Kaylee about the potty for the past few weeks, but didn't know exactly how to go about it.  She was scared of the adapter seat when we would put her on it, so that wasn't going to work yet.  Anyway, I asked for book suggestions on facebook and my friend/former roommate suggested "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day".  She said her mom used it on her kids and then on one of April's kids.  It sounded like a good idea, so we went out and bought the book, a potty doll, and lots of drinks and treats.

I read the book Tuesday night but wasn't sure when to start because I needed Joel to watch Sienna so I could focus on Kaylee.  Well, today on a whim, I just started doing it.  I followed what I learned in the book about modeling with a doll, rewarding after each step, doing dryness checks, having her clean up her own accidents, and encouraging her to "pee pee in the potty just like Mickey Mouse and Dora and cousin Jaycie etc".  Well, she totally ate it up.  She was dancing all around each time she did something correctly.  Every time I asked if she was dry, she would exclaim, "Yay!  I'm dry!" and do a little dance.  The first 9 times she went were prompted (Kaylee go sit on the potty).  The next 6 were entirely on her own (I need to go potty! and off she went).  

We put the potty chair in her room so she could go during the night without venturing out.  Apparently she just can't stop herself.  She's gone 6 times since "going to bed".  After one of those times she was crying hysterically.  We went in to find she had thrown up while sitting on the potty (Probably too many reward treats!  We'll have to go with milder rewards next time, like teddy grahams or sugary cereal).  
So, I'm sure there will be accidents and I will have to give lots of reminders for the next little while, but we did it!  I can't believe it.  No more diapers for Kaylee.  We will probably lay low for the next few days while we work out the kinks.

Wow, long day.  I feel a sense of accomplishment too!  =)




3 comments:

Katie and Joel said...

Way to go Mommy and Kaylee! You should feel a sense of accomplishment!

Kris and Megan said...

wow so did it say it worked for boys too? landon's not too much into dolls so i don't know whenever i'm ready to start if he'll catch on to that. go kaylee! big week for you guys!

Unknown said...

Megan- works for boys too. The girl who recommended it it to me has a boy and I bet he wasn't much into dolls either. The point is that they see the doll doing it and then get to teach the doll. I guess it empowers them. But all that matters is finding something that works! Yay! Good luck to you! Landon's a smarty. I know he'll catch on quickly when he wants to.